About Switcha Equine Insurance

Horses by their very nature can be unpredictable and expensive companions. Whether your connection to them is professional or personal, it is essential that you have insurance cover in place to cover the unforeseen and the unfortunate.

Part of the extensive Switcha Network, we work with a wide selection of expert insurance companies to ensure that you get the best cover and the best advise available for you, your horse and your peace of mind.

Most asked questions

Do you offer a Veteran Plan?

Keep a loyal friend happy, healthy and safe.

We believe a lifetime of service should be rewarded, and with advances in veterinary care meaning that horses are not only living longer, but still working and competing in their later years, we are happy to offer a range of policies specifically designed around the needs of mature horses and their owners.

Covering animals aged 15 years and over, our policies offer insurance against death, theft and straying, whilst a range of optional extras can be added to cover vet’s fees, tack, personal accident and public liability. With premiums beginning from as little as £200, and no upper age limit, you can choose the level of cover that best suits you and your horse.

Quick quote

Tell me more about Horse Insurance

If your horse needed emergency treatment tomorrow…could you afford it? What if it inadvertently injured a third party, or damaged someone’s property…would you have the money to cover it? Whether you are a committed professional, a dedicated amateur or a weekend rider, life with a horse can sometimes throw up everything from a gentle trot to a bumpy gallop, in more ways than one.

It makes sense therefore to have a policy in place that will give you peace of mind and your horse all the protection that it needs. With cover starting from £300, we can tailor-make a policy that best fits your specific needs and requirements. Standard cover includes legal costs up to £100,000, cover in the event of death, theft or straying and livery charges up to £50 per day in the event that you need to go into hospital.

Our policies cover horses and ponies from 6 months until death and, in addition to our standard cover, you can personalise your policy to include a range of optional extras. These include personal liability, vet’s fees up to £5,000 per incident, cover for loss of use and personal accident cover for riders aged from 10 to 75. So, give us a call and let us worry about the unexpected.

Quick quote

Trailer & Horsebox Insurance explained

We understand that your horsebox and trailer are more than just a means to an end. In many cases they can be as much an integral part of your horse as tack and hay. With that in mind we can offer some of the most comprehensive policies available on the market today, with cover that includes legal liability, accident and legal protection as standard.

For added peace of mind, you can also enhance your cover with a choice of additional extras including breakdown cover, European cover and protected no claims bonus. Many car insurance policies will only cover horse trailers for Public Liability, but with our policies you can be assured that you are also covered for any accidents that leave your trailer out of action.

Covering all types of horseboxes and trailers, right up to HGVs, you can choose from a range of policies that include fully comprehensive, third party, fire and theft, social and domestic usage, young drivers and limited mileage cover. Contact us for a quote, and let us make the road ahead a bit clearer.

Quick quote

Tell me more about Freelance Insurance

They say never work with children and animals, and you’ll probably know better than most that horses are rarely creatures of habit. Even the best laid plans can fall foul of the odd hurdle or two. For those of you working within the equestrian industry therefore, it is essential to have insurance in place to protect yourself, your clients and your livelihood.

With an array of professional policies to choose from, we can offer insurance for livery yards and riding schools, freelance riding instructors and grooms, as well as cover against any liability arising from the loss of a horse in your care. Trainer cover starts from age 17 and under our policies you can also include cover for legal expenses, grooming and public liability.

Duty of care is paramount when dealing with the health and wellbeing of clients and horses alike, so it is important to take steps to protect yourself in the event of an incident or a claim. Costs can sometimes run into the thousands, so make sure that you are well protected; leaving you to concentrate on doing what you do best.

Quick quote

Why should I insure my horse?

Life can be uncertain and accidents can occur when you least expect them. Insurance against the unexpected means that you and your horse will be covered in the eventually of costly medical expenses, public liability claims or theft. Proper protection affords you, your horse and your property essential financial safeguards.

What age does my horse have to be in order to be covered?

Our policies cover horses from 6 months until death.

What will I be insured for under my policy?

That does rather depends on the policy that you take out. We offer a range of policies and plans that can fit around your requirements and your budget. When you contact us in the first instance we can help to tailor a policy that fits around you, but always read through your policy document to ensure that your cover meets your needs.

Will I be insured if my horse is ridden by someone else?

As long as you have given permission for a third party to ride your horse, and they over 10 years old then yes.

Up to what age can I insure my horse?

Standard policies will generally cover horses up to the age of 15, but we can also offer specific insurance cover for horses older than that. Contact us for more details of our Veteran Plans.

Does my insurance cover medications and medical care?

Yes, most of our equine insurance policies can be tailored to include cover for medications and medical treatment, including surgery. However, some treatments may require diagnostic checks by a vet in the first instance, in order to be eligible for treatment, so contact us to discuss your specific requirements.

What about medical emergencies out of hours?

All our policies will include an out of office emergency contact.

As an independent riding instructor, can I get liability insurance to cover me?

Yes, we offer a range of policies to cover those working and teaching within the industry. These can provide cover for bodily injury, damage to property and public liability.

Will my household insurance cover me against losses and liabilities caused by my horse?

Probably not. Most household insurance will not cover any claims arising from commercial activities or for incidents that occur away from the property.

What is “Loss of Use”?

Loss of use insurance will cover you in the event that your horse becomes unable to perform its stated duties. It is designed to reimburse you a percentage of the value of the animal in the case of accident, illness or injury.

What does Public Liability Insurance cover me for?

Public Liability Insurance provides cover for any third party injury or damage to property that arises from negligence or liability on your part.

Will my insurance cover me if I am at a riding school?

Generally riding schools and other businesses should have their own Public Liability Insurance, which will cover you in the event of an accident or a claim.

Need some help?

The opening hours are 9am–8pm Monday to Friday, 9am–6pm Saturday and 10am–6pm Sunday and Bank Holidays.

Request a call back

Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.

From our blog

What checks need to be carried out on a horsebox to maintain it?

View Article

Do I require an operators licence for transporting horses?

View Article